Tips To Consider When Buying An Office Scanner.
Office scanners, also known as desktop scanners or workgroup document management devices, are small desktop-based scanners that copy documents and images to a computer for storage and sharing.
Tips to Consider when buying an Office scanner.
1. Resolution is the number of dots per inch (dpi) an image contains and has an effect on print quality. The higher the resolution, the better quality your images will be. However, this also means scanner size increases in relation to quality increase. For example, a good resolution for high-quality scans would be 9600 x 9600 dpi, with 4800 x 4800 dpi good for prints.
2. Speed determines how quickly your images are scanned and processed and is usually measured in pages per minute (ppm). Sources like PC Pro recommend scanning one sheet per minute at 300 dpi for small offices to handle large volumes of paper.
3. Automatic document feeders (ADF) are available for many office scanners, which allow you to place up to 100 sheets of paper in the scanner at one time and scan them all consecutively. This saves time and also ensures pages stay aligned properly, so you don’t have crooked scans.
4. Duplex scanning allows you to scan double-sided documents in a single process, saving you time and increasing efficiency. If your scanner doesn’t have duplex scanning capabilities, you will have to feed the document through the machine twice or use a two-pass scanning mode which prints one side of the page first before printing on the other side.
5. A USB 2.0 connection allows for fast connections between the scanner and your computer, while a USB 3.0 option provides even faster transmission speeds, though few scanners have this option currently available.
6. Software is an important consideration when looking at an office scanner, as it should be easy to use with simple controls that can quickly process images upon scanning them. The better the software, the more efficient your workflow will be.
In conclusion, office scanners are a great tool for any small business. When purchasing one of these devices, be sure to consider the factors listed above, as this will ensure you get the most efficient document workflow possible.